At a Bloomington city council work session held last Friday (July 19) councilmember Steve Volan told his colleagues he’d soon be introducing some proposed changes to the city’s parking ordinance. (The council has been on hiatus for a few weeks, but a regular meeting is set for July 31.)
Volan, who is the city council’s ex officio appointment to the parking commission, said that it’s a challenge to keep a full complement of members on the nine-member group.
Two vacancies are currently shown on the city’s webpage about boards and commissions, and Volan said he expects there’ll soon be a third.
So he wants to consider loosening up the requirements for serving on the commission. Currently, four of the spots are tied to affiliations with a business or non-profit in the metered parking zone. One of the spots is for someone who lives in a neighborhood permit parking zone.
The parking commission is not the only Bloomington board or commission with at least one vacancy to fill.
And several spots for citizen service are open on Monroe County boards and commissions. At the Monroe County Board of Commissioners meeting last Wednesday, board president Julie Thomas encouraged people to apply for positions.
Here’s a quick rundown of all the city and county boards and commissions with vacancies.
Bloomington (apply for city board/commission appointment)
- Animal Control Commission (Vacancy)
- Bloomington Arts Commission (Vacancy)
- Bloomington Digital Underground Advisory Committee (Vacancy)
- Bloomington Human Rights Commission (Vacancy)
- Bloomington Industrial Development Advisory Commission (Vacancy)
- Bloomington Urban Enterprise Association (Vacancy)
- Board of Public Safety (Vacancy)
- CDBG Funding Citizens Advisory Committee (Vacancy)
- Commission on Aging (Vacancy)
- Commission on Sustainability (Vacancy)
- Commission on the Status of Children and Youth (Vacancy)
- Environmental Commission (Vacancy)
- Parking Commission (Vacancy)
- Public Safety Local Income Tax Committee of the Monroe County Local Income Tax Council (Vacancy)
- Traffic Commission (Vacancy)
- Tree Commission (Vacancy)
Monroe County (apply for a county board/commission)
- Animal Management Commission
- Board Of Health (four spots: non-Democrat physician, non-Republican physician, citizen, person knowledgable in public health)
- Convention and Visitors Commission (owner or general manager of hotel with more than 40 beds)
- Environmental Commission (spot can’t live in the city)
- Human Rights Commission (three spots)
- Traffic Commission (three spots)
- Women’s Commission (spot can’t live in the city)